By Mark Vessey
- Discusses the lifestyles and works of Augustine inside their complete old context, instead of privileging the theological context
- Presents Augustine’s existence, works and best rules within the cultural context of the overdue Roman global, delivering a colourful and interesting experience of Augustine in motion in his personal time and position
- Opens up a brand new part of analysis on Augustine, delicate to the numerous and sundry views of scholarship on past due Roman tradition
- State-of-the-art essays through top teachers during this field
Read Online or Download A Companion to Augustine PDF
Similar church history books
Wie findet Kirche heute eine Gestalt, die ihrem Ursprung in der Verkündigung Jesu entspricht? Existiert Kirche von oben oder von unten? Erstmals legen ein systematischer Theologe und ein Pastoraltheologe gemeinsam eine imaginative and prescient von der Kirche vor. Konkret und anschaulich zeigen sie, dass Kirche nur dann eine Zukunft hat, wenn sie sich immer wieder neu von unten bildet:offen für die Welt, für nicht-christliche Religionen und Gesellschaften, in konkreten Situationen und kulturellen Herausforderungen.
The Church of britain and the 1st international struggle (first released in 1978) explores extensive the function of the church through the tragic conditions of the 1st international warfare utilizing biographies, newspapers, magazines, letters, poetry and different resources in a balanced evaluate. the parable that the conflict used to be fought by means of ‘lions led by means of donkeys’ powerfully endures turning heroes into sufferers.
Convened by means of Pope John XXIII, the second one Vatican Council (1962–65) profoundly replaced the self-image and lifetime of the Catholic Church. yet figuring out, studying, and imposing Vatican II nonetheless stay a job faraway from accomplished. Pope Francis has given clean impetus towards training the Council’s instructing a couple of humble, servant Church that pursues justice and peace for the full global.
Discover the various personality of rising Christian narrativesThis booklet offers essays that convey how prophetic and priestly emphases in Luke and Acts, and emphasis on Jesus’s lifestyles sooner than production within the Gospel of John, are remodeled in a few moment- and third-century Christian literature. Early Christians interpreted and expressed the storylines of Jesus, Mary, and different vital figures in ways in which created new pictures and tales.
- Supremacy and Survival: How Catholics Endured the English Reformation
- The Ecumenical Luther
- Religiöse Sprachlehre (German Edition)
- Scripture Cannot Be Broken
Additional resources for A Companion to Augustine